Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a raw recipe from Natural Health Magazine. It's an alternative to pasta and has been a hit with friends and family who aren't raw foodists or vegetarians.
- 3 medium zucchini, peeled
- 1 medium zebra green tomato, seeded and chopped
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 0.25 ml sea salt
- 0.25 ml fresh ground black pepper, plus more to taste
- 14.79 ml raw pine nuts (to garnish)
- basil leaves (to garnish)
- 473.18 ml packed fresh basil leaves
- 4.92 ml minced garlic
- 118.29 ml pine nuts (preferably raw)
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil, plus
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml sea salt
- 0.25 ml fresh ground black pepper
- Using a vegetable peeler or a spiral vegetable slicer, slice the outer zucchini flesh into lenthwise strips, discaring any seeds.
- Stack the strips and then slice them into thinner "noodles".
- Place the zucchini noodles in a medium bowl and add chopped tomato, olive oil, sea salt, and pepper.
- Place all pesto ingredients in a blender and puree until smooth, with just a few nuts visible for texture.
- Gently toss the zucchini and tomato mixture with just enough pesto to coat.
- Season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Garnish with pine nuts and basil leaves and serve.
It is GREAT!!!!! I recommend this to anyone who is looking for a great raw recipe that even people who are not raw like. : )
This was amazing! I'm a real pasta lover and thought this would be good, but never as good as pasta. I'll tell you, it was pretty darn close! I didn't miss the pasta at all, even as I watched my husband eating this same sauce over linguini instead of zucchini! Thank you so much for posting this recipe, it will become a standard staple in my recipe box.
Tip - I only used 2 zucchinis, as it was just me. I added the pesto 1 T at a time, mixing it in with my zucchini, until I had the amount I wanted. The rest of the pesto is holding in a jar in the fridge. I expect it to last about a week, and I know it also freezes well.
FABULOUS...I added a touch of nutritional yeast to make it a little cheesy...also added some fresh lemon to the zucc. (I just like to do that with raw veggies some times) and threw in some sun-dried tomato and a little bit of red pepper flake ... FABULOUS!!!- a HUGE WINNER thanks so much!!