Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is an incredibly moist loaf with a delicious brown sugar topping, and it also makes great muffins. This is always the first recipe I make when rhubarb is in season! Great for lunches and even special occasions. Freezes well.
- 2 cups flour
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups chopped fresh rhubarb (frozen works too, you may need to lengthen baking time slightly)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour, sugar, baking powder,baking soda and salt.
- In a medium bowl, beat eggs; stir in apple juice, butter and vanilla.
- Stir wet ingredients into dry until just combined. Gently stir in rhubarb until evenly distributed.
- Spoon into greased 9x5 loaf pan.
- Topping: in a small bowl, combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake for 60-65 mins or until toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 mins, then turn onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Variation: spoon batter into 18 greased muffin cups; sprinkle with topping.
- Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes; cool as above.