Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
My favorite way to use yellow split peas and it's low-fat compared to most ravioli dishes. If you're tired of tomato sauce, give this a try. This ravioli makes a company-worthy presentation. Use a mild cheese-filled pasta and a blender to smooth the sauce if possible.
- 4 cups fat-skimmed chicken broth
- 1 1⁄3 cups dried yellow split peas
- 2 (9 ounce) packages cheese ravioli or 2 (9 ounce) packages tortellini
- 3 dried hot chili peppers (2" long)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, rinsed (about 1/4 pound)
- 1⁄2 cup cherry tomatoes, rinsed and halved
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Bring broth and peas to a boil in a saucepan; cover, reduce heat and simmer 50 minutes or until peas fall apart.
- Boil pasta in water until tender; drain.
- Pour peas into blender or food processor and blend until smooth; use a towel to cover hot liquid in blender, never cover hot liquid tightly and blend.
- Remove stems from chilies and shake out seeds; discard stems and seeds; in a saucepan add chilies, oil, garlic and cumin; saute 1 minute over medium heat until garlic is lightly browned.
- Add peas, spinach, tomatoes and turmeric to chili mixture; stir just until steaming.
- Add ravioli to sauce and gently fold in; salt and pepper to taste.