Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
This sauce is so easy to prepare, and it used low fat and no fat ingredients. The roasted red peppers blended into the sauce give it a lovely pale pinkish color. I had a bag of frozen cheese ravioli in the freezer, and was looking for something other than a red sauce to serve it with. The original recipe, I believe, used fat free cream cheese, but I opted for low-fat instead. If you like to use no-fat cream cheese, please let me know how it turns out.
- 1 lb cheese ravioli
- 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- 1 (14 ounce) jar roasted red peppers
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf
- salt and black pepper
- crushed red pepper flakes
- In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook frozen ravioli according to package directions.
- In the meantime, place peppers, cream cheese, milk, basil, garlic powder, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper and/or crushed red pepper in blender and cover
- Blend until smooth; set aside.
- Add to a saucepan and cook over medium heat for 5 minuted or until just heated through.
- Toss with cooked ravioli, top with extra basil leaves and/or grated cheese and serve.
This was appealing to me because it was different than a typical cream sauce and it was pretty calorie friendly. It was also very quick and easy.Also, it gave me another dish to use my abundance of fresh basil in.