I saw Rachael Ray make this on TV. I made it the other night. It is fantastic! I easily cut the recipe in half.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 -6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 14 ounces water-packed artichoke hearts, drained well
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable stock (or chicken)
- 1/2 cup cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/2 cup grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- salt and black pepper
- 2 cups grated provolone cheese or 2 cups Italian cheese blend
- 24 -28 ounces fresh ravioli, large package, such as Contadina brand, choose your favorite filling, such as wild mushroom or 4 cheese
- 1 lb thin asparagus spear, trimmed of tough ends
- 1NOTE - orginal recipe did not give ounce measurements for the spinach or the artichokes - I assume sizes may vary by brand. Orginal recipe just says 2 packages of frozen spinach - she used the small box size on tv. Original recipe stated 2 cans of artichokes. Zaar won't let you put in packages or cans without giving an ounces amount.
- 2Bring a pot of water to boil for ravioli.
- 3While water comes to a boil, drain defrosted frozen chopped spinach by wringing it dry in a kitchen towel, working over a garbage bowl or your sink.
- 4Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Add extra-virgin olive oil and saute garlic in oil 1 minute, then sprinkle spinach into the garlic oil. Add artichoke heart pieces to the pan and turn to combine and heat through. Season vegetables with and remove from heat to a bowl. (NOTE -- I didn't not use the full amount of artichokes - since, I cut the recipe in half, I was only using one can of artichokes, but it seemed like a lot so I used about half the can. So use your own judgement when adding the artichokes.).
- 5Place skillet back on the heat and melt butter. Whisk flour into butter and cook 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk stock into flour and butter and let it bubble. Whisk in cream and Parmesan. Season sauce with nutmeg, salt and pepper and thicken 1 to 2 minutes.
- 6When water boils, salt water, add ravioli and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Ravioli should be less than al dente, still a bit chewy -- it will continue cooking when combined with sauce and vegetables. Place a colander over ravioli as it cooks and add asparagus to it. Cut thin, trimmed asparagus into 2-inch pieces on an angle. Steam the chopped asparagus while pasta cooks, 2 to 3 minutes, until just fork-tender, but still green. Remove asparagus and add to bowl with spinach and artichokes. Place colander in your sink and drain ravioli.
- 7Drizzle a touch of extra virgin olive oil onto the bottom of a medium oval casserole or a rectangular baking dish and brush pan to coat evenly.
- 8Arrange a layer using 1/2 of cooked ravioli in the dish. Layer 1/2 of the cooked vegetables over the ravioli. Next, add a few ladles of sauce, then vegetables, then top casserole with the last of the ravioli. Dot top of "lasagna" with any remaining sauce and cover liberally with gratedprovolone or 4 cheese blend.
- 9Brown cheese 8 inches from broiler, 5 minutes. NOTE - this is the part of the recipe that didn't work for me. By the time I assembled the ingredients, they were cold so I ended up having to bake the dish in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes or so.
- 10This was supposed to be a 30 minute meal, but I think it took longer. Maybe after I've made it a few times, it would only take 30 -- either way it was still an easy recipe to make.
- 11I think this could be easily made ahead and reheated or frozen. I haven't tried freezing it yet, but it is yummy the next day.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ravioli Vegetable Lasagna - Spinach, Artichoke, Asparagus - Yum!
Serving Size: 1 (322 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.4
- Calories from Fat 392
- Total Fat 43.6 g
- Saturated Fat 23.9 g
- Cholesterol 101.1 mg
- Sodium 1014.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.2 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 33.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: