Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
I came up with this recipe after I had tried a few, and couldn't get it just the way I wanted. This can be made very spicy, or toned back depending on your liking.
- 1 lb Italian sausage, bulk (mild or hot sausage works well)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 (28 ounce) can stewed tomatoes, drained but reserve juice
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef base, Orrington Farms works good
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (you can use more if you like)
- 1 (12 ounce) package cheese ravioli, frozen and uncooked
- tomato juice
- Drain tomatoes reserving the juice; quarter each tomato slice and set aside.
- Dissolve the beef base in the 2 Cups hot water and set aside.
- Brown sausage in large pot, drain off fat.
- Return sausage to pan. Drizzle with olive oil, and add in the chopped garlic and spices. Cook about 2-3 minutes just to heat up the spices.
- Add the tomatoes, the juice from the tomatoes, and remaining ingredients EXCEPT the ravioli. (If the soup seems thick, this is where I add tomato juice to get it to the consistency I like. You will be adding the ravioli, so it will thicken a little).
- Bring soup to a boil; cover and reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes.
- After the 45 minutes, remove cover and and return soup to a boil.
- When boiling, drop in the ravioli. When it floats to the top of the pot, the ravioli is cooked.
- Ladle into bowls, and is great with fresh grated parmesan cheese on top.
Nice comforting, soothing soup. I made this mild sausage, and with 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes. Other than recipe made as written. Great soup for a weekday night. Think kids would really enjoy this as mine did. Wonder flavors, and a great combo of seasonings. Made for 2011 pick a chef..