Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 3 hrs
Cook 20 mins
This was my grandmothers Rose's recipe who was Calabraze. She always deep fried them, but we bake them now. Can be done either way.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 4 ounces white sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 lb seedless grapes
- 1⁄2 granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1⁄2 medium bosc pear, chopped and peeled
- 1⁄2 medium gala apple, peeled chopped
- 1⁄2 cup yellow squash, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup peeled roasted chestnuts, crumbled
- 2⁄3 cup golden raisin
- 1⁄2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- Making the Filling-- In a saucepan combine-- grapes, pear, apples, zests, and squash.
- Bring to a boil and cover slightly.
- Cook until fruit is breaking down and very soft, adding more water if necessary.
- Press the fruit thru a foley with a coarse blade.
- Place back into pot and cook another 20 minutes.
- Stir, and keep checking as not to scorch.
- Its ready when it coats a wooden spoon.
- This takes a fair amount of time to do on low heat.
- Add the chestnuts, raisins, and pine nuts, and brandy.
- Stir well Otherwards what you made was sort of a mincemeat.
- Pastry-- Combine all dry ingredients and zest.
- Add butter chilled and in cubes.
- Sprinkle with beaten egg, and water combined.
- Combine until you have a pastry dough just forming into a ball.
- This could all be done in a processor if desired.
- Turn onto to board, gather into a loose ball.
- Wrap in saran and chill.
- Roll out the dough on a floured board about 1/8 inch thick.
- or less Use a round 3 inch cutter cut out rounds.
- Fill each with a teaspoon of filling.
- Brush a little beaten egg around inner edges and fold over.
- Crimp, and seal with a fork.
- Re roll dough and continue until all scrapes are used.
- Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- Place on greased cookie sheets.
- Bake 18 minutes until golden.
- Cool on rack.
- Dust with confectioners sugar.