3 hrs 20 mins
This was my grandmothers Rose's recipe who was Calabraze. She always deep fried them, but we bake them now. Can be done either way.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 4 ounces white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons lemons, zest of
- 3 ounces unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 lb seedless grapes
- 1/2 granny smith apple, cored and chopped
- 1/2 medium bosc pear, chopped and peeled
- 1/2 medium gala apple, peeled chopped
- 1/2 cup yellow squash, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- 1 cup peeled roasted chestnuts, crumbled
- 2/3 cup golden raisin
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1Making the Filling-- In a saucepan combine-- grapes, pear, apples, zests, and squash.
- 2Bring to a boil and cover slightly.
- 3Cook until fruit is breaking down and very soft, adding more water if necessary.
- 4Press the fruit thru a foley with a coarse blade.
- 5Place back into pot and cook another 20 minutes.
- 6Stir, and keep checking as not to scorch.
- 7Its ready when it coats a wooden spoon.
- 9This takes a fair amount of time to do on low heat.
- 10Add the chestnuts, raisins, and pine nuts, and brandy.
- 11Stir well Otherwards what you made was sort of a mincemeat.
- 12Pastry-- Combine all dry ingredients and zest.
- 13Add butter chilled and in cubes.
- 14Sprinkle with beaten egg, and water combined.
- 15Combine until you have a pastry dough just forming into a ball.
- 16This could all be done in a processor if desired.
- 17Turn onto to board, gather into a loose ball.
- 18Wrap in saran and chill.
- 19Roll out the dough on a floured board about 1/8 inch thick.
- 20or less Use a round 3 inch cutter cut out rounds.
- 21Fill each with a teaspoon of filling.
- 22Brush a little beaten egg around inner edges and fold over.
- 23Crimp, and seal with a fork.
- 24Re roll dough and continue until all scrapes are used.
- 25Preheat oven 350 degrees.
- 26Place on greased cookie sheets.
- 27Bake 18 minutes until golden.
- 28Cool on rack.
- 29Dust with confectioners sugar.
You Might Also Like...View All Hand-Formed Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ravioli Dolci
Serving Size: 1 (83 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 172.6
- Calories from Fat 61
- Total Fat 6.7 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 21.2 mg
- Sodium 10.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 13.4 g
- Protein 2.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: