Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This hearty soup makes a terrific lunch or light dinner on chilly fall and winter days. When we have this for dinner, I also serve a simple green salad and some crusty rolls. Adapted from Sunset Soups Cookbook.
- 5 slices bacon
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 8 cups beef stock or 8 cups canned beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- 1 large carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 lb cheese ravioli, any type you like (fresh "or" frozen, I like cheese)
- grated parmesan cheese
- Cut bacon into 1/2-inch pieces In a 5-6 qt pan, cook bacon over medium heat until soft and translucent Spoon off and discard all but 2 tablespoons of the drippings; add onion, garlic and parsley and cook, stirring occasionally, until onion and bacon are lightly browned.
- Add stock or broth, water, cabbage and carrot Bring to a boil over high heat Separate ravioli, if stuck together, and add to stock Reduce heat to medium and boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until ravioli are just tender (about 10 minutes for fresh, 12 minutes for frozen).
- Pass cheese at the table to sprinkle over individual servings.
This was very good. My grandmother always made ravioli soup, and although this was very different, it reminded me of her!