Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 6 hrs
I love venison stew. You will enjoy this tasty dish. You may substitute Elk or Moose meat. We serve it on rice, but you could also serve it alone or on top of mashed potatoes or broad egg noodles.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs venison (roast or peices) or 2 1⁄2 lbs elk meat (roast or peices) or 2 1⁄2 lbs moose (roast or peices)
- 4 slices bacon, raw
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 onion, quartered
- 4 white potatoes, quartered, peeled
- 2 large carrots, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 2 large parsnips, peeled, coarsely chopped
- 1 apple, crispini, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt
- 2 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 cups sweet apple cider (not hard)
- In a crock pot, add the venison and cover with the bacon slices.
- Place the garlic, onion, potatoes, carrots, parsnips and apple around the vension meat.
- Season well with salt, pepper, thyme and parsley.
- Pour the apple cider over everything and cook on low for 6 - 8 hours.
- If you prefer a thicker gravy, add a little flour and water mix and allow to cook till thickened.
- Serve to your preference and enjoy.
I had this at Gabriel's home at least twice, during my stay. It is a tasty, hearty stew. The meat was very tender with a great gravy. We enjoyed it served with rice. Thanks for sharing this easy to make dish.