Prep 25 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a good recipe for those folks who are in a hurry and don't want to take the time to sift dry ingredients. It was given to me by a friend who took it to a church dinner and received many requests for the recipe. I use apricot jam between layers as a filling for a different taste.
- 1 (18 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups angel flake coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 2 cups angel flake coconut, toasted, divided
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 1⁄2 powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Blend cake mix, pudding mix, water and eggs in a large bowl.
- Beat at medium speed for 4 minutes.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Pour into three greased & floured 9 inch round pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 15 minutes.
- Remove from pans and frost with the following:.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Add 2 cups angel flake coconut.
- Stir constantly over low heat until golden brown.
- Cream 2 tablespoons butter with 1 8 oz package softened cream cheese.
- Add 2 tablespoons milk.
- Add 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar gradually, beating well after each addition.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups browned coconut.
- Spread on tops and sides of cake layers.
- Sprinkle with remaining coconut.