Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
Nothing but raves! A good quality, long shredded, moist coconut works best for this recipe.
- 1 (18 ounce) box yellow cake mix
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or 1 cup pecans
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups coconut
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 1⁄2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon vanilla
- Blend cake mix, flour, pudding mix, water, eggs and oil in a large mixing bowl.
- Beat at medium speed for four minutes.
- Stir in coconut and nuts.
- Pour into 3 greased and floured 9" layer pans.
- Bake at 350 for 35 minutes.
- Remove and cool.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in skillet.
- Add coconut while stirring constantly over low heat until golden brown.
- Divide coconut into two parts - 1/4 cup and 1 3/4 cups.
- Spread coconut on paper towels to cool.
- Cream 2 tablespoons butter with cream cheese.
- Add milk; beat in sugar gradually.
- Blend in vanilla.
- Stir in 1 3/4 cups coconut.
- Spread on top of cake layers.
- Stack layers and sprinkle with remaining (1/4 cup) coconut.
I have used this recipe for many years now. It is very tasty. It always goes over well for potlucks. Thanks for posting this recipe.
This is one of my very favorite cakes! I was going through some old recipe binders that I've pasted recipes in that I've clipped out over the years, and was going to post this, but you already have- thanks for saving me from typing it out! :) I can't say enough about how good this cake is and everyone always loves it. Thanks again for posting this!