Recipe by blucoat
This easy vegetarian patty was one of the most popular dishes at the New York's restaurant, Ratner's. The recipe was printed (in 1975!) in "The World Famous Ratner's Meatless Cookbook", by Judith Gethers and Elizabeth Lefft. Recipe is Kosher for Passover. These reheat very well.
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch cubes (about 2 pounds)
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 medium onions, chopped (about 2/3 pound)
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) candiced carrots, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can cut green beans, drained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can peas, drained
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups matzoh meal (approximately)
- salt and freshly ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F Cook potatoes in boiling salted water for 20 minutes, or until tender. Mash.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat butter and sauté onions and mushrooms until tender.
- Pour mushroom mixture into a bowl with mashed potatoes. Stir in carrots, green beans, peas and 2 eggs. Blend thoroughly. Add enough matzoh meal so that mixture can shaped into large patties. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Shape into 12 to 15 patties. Beat the remaining eggs well. Brush patties on both sides, coating thoroughly. Place on a well-greased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 45 minutes, or until lightly golden browned. Serve hot.