Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Another Sri Lankan recipe from Chamaine Solomon posted after a request from another member. I have had to miss one ingredient from the list as the site does not recognise it, but 1 strip of daun pandan or rampe leaf needs to be added to the other ingredients in the saucepan.
- 750 g small raw prawns
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 3 -4 curry leaves
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised (or 2 strips of lemon rind)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups coconut milk
- good squeeze lemon juice
- Wash prawns and remove heads but leave shells on ( in Sri Lanka prawns are cooked with the shell on for better flavour).
- Put all ingredients, except lemon juice, into a saucepan and bring slowly to simmering point.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Add lemon juice and stir.
- Taste and add more salt or lemon if required.
Very much enjoyed and easily prepared. This is not a hot curry, and we enjoyed its delicate but pronounced flavours. We had this with Citrus Jasmine Rice, really went together very well. Thanks, Lou Van!