Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook1 hr 10 mins
To freeze follow the recipe to end of step 4. Double wrap in its dish in cling film and freeze for up to 2 months. To serve, put the frozen crumble into the fridge to thaw for at least 8 hours. Continue with step 5.
- 2 aubergines
- 3 courgettes
- 2 red peppers
- 1 green pepper
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 g chopped Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 350 g goat's cheese, with a rind
FOR THE CRUMBLE
- 350 g sliced white bread, crusts removed
- 1 tablespoon green pesto sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon chives
- Cut the aubergines and courgettes into thick slices, no thinner than 2cm/3⁄4in, then cut all the slices across in half. Set aside. Cut the peppers in half, remove and discard the seeds, then cut the peppers into bite-sized chunks. Set aside.
- Heat 5 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large pan, add the onions and garlic and gently fry for 8-10 minutes. Add the aubergines, courgettes and peppers and fry for a further 10 minutes. Tip in the chopped tomatoes, season well, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the chopped basil and leave aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, for the crumble, put the bread into a food processor and blend to fine crumbs. Add the pesto, herbs, the remaining olive oil and plenty of seasoning, then blend again.
- Cut the goat's cheese into large bitesized pieces and fold through the ratatouille. Spoon into a 2 litre/31⁄2 pint ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the herby crumb mixture over the top of the ratatouille.
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5/fan oven 170C and bake the crumble for 25 minutes until golden.