Recipe by Tulip-Fairy
I can't believe there wasn't a recipe for ratatoulli on here. This is the one I have used for years, it's a fresh tasting Ratatouli with a kick of chilli. A great side dish for most meats. Serve over rice for a vegetarian main dish.
- 1 eggplant, cut into cubes
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut in pieces
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut in pieces
- 1 large onion
- 12 ounces zucchini, cut into rounds
- 1 lb tomatoes, peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small chili peppers (to your taste) or 1 teaspoon chili powder (to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place eggplant into a colander.
- Sprinkle with salt.
- Let stand 30 minute.
- Pat eggplant dry with paper towels.
- Heat 4 tbsp olive oil in large nonstick pan over medium heat.
- Add eggplant and sautÃƒÂ© until brown and cooked through.
- Remove eggplant to large bowl.
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in pan.
- Add chopped onion and sautÃƒÂ© until light brown.
- Add zucchini and cook till brown.
- Return eggplant back to pan.
- Add tomatoes, garlic, chilli,thyme, bay leaf, and saute 3 minute.
- Cook until vegetbles are very tender (about 15 minutes).
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix in 2 tsps red wine vinegar.
- Discard bay leaf and serve.