Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
A fresh tasting take on the classic french dish, done in a crockpot. From Canadian Living.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 cups eggplants, cubed (one large)
- 2 teaspoons basil (dried)
- 1 teaspoon oregano (dried)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 2 zucchini
- 1⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1 (19 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat, cook onion, garlic, eggplant, basil, oregano, salt & pepper, stirring occasionally, until onion is softened, about 10 minutes. Scrape into crockpot.
- Halve, core, and seed peppers; cut into 1 inch pieces. Cut zucchini into half lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1 1/2 inch chunks. Add to crockpot.
- Add tomato paste, chickpeas, and tomatoes, breaking up tomatoes with a spoon. Cover and cook on low for 4 hours, or until vegetables are tender. Stir in basil / parsley.
We enjoyed this even though I didn't have all the veggies but added another can of tomatoes (mine were 14.5 oz cans) and also added some macaroni (about 1/2 a box). Thanks for sharing!
Followed instructions as printed. Extremely dried out.
I had to toss all the leftovers, no one was willing to eat any of it again
I followed other's suggestions and only browned the onion first. I thought the eggplant was cooked well (not overcooked) after 4 hours on low. I think it might have created more liquid though as it cooked. It would have been good to serve this over rice for that reason. I used less salt and more parsley.