Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
Yummy and very filling soup. It is a meal in itself or you can pair it with some crusty bread.
- 1 small eggplant, cubed (4 cups)
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices (2 2/3 cups)
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, cut into 1 inch pieces (1 cup)
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning, crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) cans reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 cup of dried cavatelli
- 1 (15 ounce) can reduced-sodium navy beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- In a large shallow roasting pan combine the eggplant, zucchini, sweet pepper, onion, and garlic.
- In a small bowl combine the olive oil, italian seasoning, salt, and black pepper; srizzle over vegetables, tossing to coat.
- Bake in a 425 degree oven about 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring once.
- Meanwhile, in a dutch oven combine the broth and water.
- Bring to boiling; add cavatelli.
- Return to boiling.
- Cook about 12 minutes or until tender.
- Reduce heat.
- Stir in the beans, tomatoes, and roasted vegetables.
- Heat through.
Very light soup indeed both in consistency and flavor. Would make a perfect Sunday lunch meal with hot crusty wheat bread. I used ziti instead of cavatelli (which I was unable to find in my grocery stores). If you love veggies, then this soup is for you, but I was just a touch disappointed in its lightness on flavor. But my wife loved it and says she'll be asking to have it again in the future.
I actually found this recipe in the Better Homes and Gardens Diabetic cookbook. It is full of spectacular veggies, and the beans are a nice touch. I didn't have any cavatelli, so I substituted in whole wheat penne instead, and it was outstanding! The taste is excellent. It is a very light soup. The portions for this soup are very large too, so you sohuld feel happy eating a bowl of it. I would make this again, for sure. Next time I might add some cooked chicken or use vegetable broth instead.