I made this up for a vegetarian Christmas Eve dinner party, was very appreciated by the meat-eaters too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 medium zucchini, cubed
- 1 eggplant, cubed
- 1 small red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, pulp
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons vegetable bouillon granules
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch sugar
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon herbes de provence (thyme, rosmarine, marjoram, hyssop, sage, basil, lavender, fennel, summer savory)
- 1 -2 mozzarella cheese, cubed
- 1Make the ratatouille: Heat the oil in a pan, cook the onion until tender but not brown, add tomato pulp, tomato paste, salt, pepper, sugar, cayenne pepper, herbs and stock granules, mix well.
- 2Add eggplant, mix until coated with sauce and cook 5 minutes.
- 3Add zucchini and pepper and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- 4When the vegetables are cooked adjust salt and pepper to taste, the vegetables should be quite dry, if not add 1/2-1 tbsp flour and stir well while cooking another minute, so the liquid is absorbed.
- 5Let cool 5 minutes, then add the mozzarella cubes to the ratatouille.
- 6Roll out puff pastry so to have a 40x25 cm (I think it's about 20x12. 5 inches) rectangle, put the rectangle on a cookie sheet lined with baking paper, pour ratatouille and mozzarella mixture in the center of the rectangle and roll up, sealing the edges very well.
- 7Brush with the beaten egg yolk, make a few cuts on the surface (so the steam can get out) and put in preheated oven 200°C for 25-30 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp (you might want to put another lined cookie sheet on the lower rack as, depending on the freshness of the mozzarella you use, the strudel may produce some liquid and drip).
- 8Let the strudel cool a little before slicing and serving.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ratatouille Savoury Strudel
Serving Size: 1 (250 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 532.4
- Calories from Fat 311
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 8.5 g
- Cholesterol 31.4 mg
- Sodium 264.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vegetable bouillon granules
herbes de provence