Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
- 2 cups whole wheat cracker crumbs
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 medium zucchini, cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 1 small eggplant, cut in 1/2-inch dice (1 lb.)
- 2 small bell peppers, diced (1 green and 1 red)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1⁄4 cup parsley
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 ripe tomatoes, peeled, seeded, and diced
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Make the crust: mix the cracker crumbs and butter together; press two-thirds of the mixture into a 10-inch pie pan.
- Spread the remaining crust mixture in another pan.
- Bake the crumb-lined pan and the extra crumbs for 10 minutes or just until toasted, shaking the extra crumbs once during baking.
- Sprinkle the warm pie crust with ¼ cup of the parmesan cheese and cool.
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil; add in the garlic and onion; cook 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the onion is soft.
- Add in zucchini, eggplant, and bell peppers; cook and toss over high heat for 10 minutes.
- Add in the basil; stir.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta, eggs, and salt; blend mixture into the vegetable mixture.
- Turn into crumb-lined pan; sprinkle the top with the remaining parmesan cheese and the toasted cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until the pie is set.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the diced tomatoes; serve hot or at room temperature.