Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe out of an old weight watchers cook book. I and my husband really enjoy this recipe. This recipes freezes very well.
- 2 cups diced eggplants
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned Italian tomatoes, with liquid, chop up tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 dash pepper
- 2 cups cooked spaghetti (I like to use the fusilli, Cork screw type paste) or 2 cups fusilli, hot (I like to use the fusilli, Cork screw type paste)
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Put eggplant & zucchini into colander, sprinkler with 1 teaspoon salt, and let stand for 30 minutes;Rinse vegetables under running cold water: drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- In skillet heat oil over medium-high heat: add eggplant, zucchini, and onions. Sauté until vegetables are softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with liquid, tomato paste, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, oregano, basil, garlic powder and pepper. Stir well.
- Reduce heat to low and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are cooked and flavors are blended; 15 to 20 minutes.
- Add pasta. Put into casserole top with mozzarella cheese. Put it in 350°F oven for about 25 minutes until cheese is melted and bubbly.
Yum! I did this without eggplant and subbed in mushrooms per preference here. I used garlic salt instead of garlic powder and omitted the salt. I used rice pasta in macaroni shape to be gluten free. I did use haloomi cheese as it was what I had on hand but mozzarella would melt better I know. I used canola oil to be corn free. I may make this again with mozzarella.
Despite the 11 steps, this recipe is a lot easier than it looks. I used fresh basil and fresh oregano. This recipe burts with wonderful flavour and fills the kitched with a great aroma. Thanks for a fantastic meal Barbara!