Recipe by Karamia
This is a meatless main dish that is from Light and Tasty mag. It's a very yummy Italian dinner and healthy too!
Top Review by ellie_
Delicious and very easy! I didn't understand why we let the eggplant and zucchini sit and drain but it worked out great! This is the best ratatouille I've ever made - even my dh didn't complain about the eggplant when we had this -- it must have something to do with the draining process. I used fresh basil and oregano from the garden when I made this. Thanks for sharing this keeper which we will be having again soon!!!
- 2 cups diced peeled eggplants
- 2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups uncooked spiral shaped pasta
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 -3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- 1 dash black pepper
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a colander with a plate underneath, mix chopped eggplant and zucchini with salt and allow to sit for 30 minutes; then rinse and drain well.
- Cook pasta according to directions and drain; meanwhile saute eggplant, zucchini, and onion in oil until tender.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, garlic powder, basil, sugar, salt and pepper and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Put cooked pasta in an 8x8 baking dish; top with veggie mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese.
- Broil in oven until cheese is melted and lightly browned, about 2-4 minutes.