Prep 1 hr
Cook 1 hr
In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
- 1 large zucchini, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) canchopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (8 ounce) packageno-cook lasagna noodles
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Make the ratatouille sauce--toss the zucchini, eggplant, and kosher salt in a large colander and place in the sink.
- Let stand to drain off excess juices, about 1 hour.
- Rinse under cold running water, drain, and pat dry with paper towels.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the saucepan and increase the heat to med-high.
- Add the zucchini and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- Return the onion mixture to the pot, and stir in the tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and hot red pepper.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Decrease heat to med-low; simmer, uncovered, until the eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- Make the cheese filling--mix the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper together.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°.
- Lightly oil a 13 x9 inch baking dish.
- Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the pan.
- Top with 3 lasagna rectangles, side by side, but not touching.
- Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1 cup of the sauce.
- Top with 3 lasagna noodles; repeat the layering of the ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce, and lasagna noodles two more times, ending with a layer of lasagna rectangles.
- Spread the remaining sauce completely over the lasagna noodles.
- Cover with foil; bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and the parmesan.
- Bake, uncovered, until the lasagna is bubbling throughout, about 20 minutes.
- Let stand 10 minutes; serve hot.