In 'Summer Gatherings' by Rick Rodgers
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large zucchini, scrubbed and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1Make the ratatouille sauce--toss the zucchini, eggplant, and kosher salt in a large colander and place in the sink.
- 2Let stand to drain off excess juices, about 1 hour.
- 3Rinse under cold running water, drain, and pat dry with paper towels.
- 4Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 5Add the onion, red bell pepper, and garlic.
- 6Cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, about 8 minutes; transfer to a bowl.
- 7Add the remaining 2 tablespoons oil to the saucepan and increase the heat to med-high.
- 8Add the zucchini and eggplant and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes.
- 9Return the onion mixture to the pot, and stir in the tomatoes with their juices, tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, and hot red pepper.
- 10Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- 11Decrease heat to med-low; simmer, uncovered, until the eggplant is tender, about 20 minutes.
- 12Stir in the basil and season with salt and pepper.
- 13Make the cheese filling--mix the ricotta, parmesan, eggs, nutmeg, salt and pepper together.
- 14Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°.
- 15Lightly oil a 13 x9 inch baking dish.
- 16Spread about 1 cup of the sauce in the pan.
- 17Top with 3 lasagna rectangles, side by side, but not touching.
- 18Spread with 1/3 of the ricotta mixture, 1 cup mozzarella, and 1 cup of the sauce.
- 19Top with 3 lasagna noodles; repeat the layering of the ricotta mixture, mozzarella, sauce, and lasagna noodles two more times, ending with a layer of lasagna rectangles.
- 20Spread the remaining sauce completely over the lasagna noodles.
- 21Cover with foil; bake for 30 minutes.
- 22Remove the foil and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup mozzarella and the parmesan.
- 23Bake, uncovered, until the lasagna is bubbling throughout, about 20 minutes.
- 24Let stand 10 minutes; serve hot.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ratatouille Lasagna
Serving Size: 1 (318 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 397.6
- Calories from Fat 199
- Total Fat 22.1 g
- Saturated Fat 10.8 g
- Cholesterol 88.4 mg
- Sodium 1088.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 22.5 g