Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 25 mins
This is not your ordinary lasagna- a ratatouille sauce is layered with the lasagna noodles and the cheese.A delicious and slightly different take on lasagna- add a side salad and some crusty bread and dinner is served! I usually will add about 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1 t. basil to the vegetable mixture just because I like those spices in Italian food!
- 2 small zucchini (about 8 oz. each)
- 1 small eggplant (about 1 lb.)
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large red pepper
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, divided
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (16 ounce) package lasagna noodles (16 noodles)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (35 ounce) can Italian plum tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves, crushed
- 1 lb fontina (4 cups) or 1 lb mozzarella cheese, shredded (4 cups)
- parmesan cheese, for serving if desired
- Cut zucchini, eggplant, and green and red peppers into 3/4 inch pieces.
- In a 12 inch skillet over medium-high heat, in 3 tablespoons hot olive oil, cook peppers until tender-crisp.
- Stir in eggplant, zucchini, 2 teaspoons sugar, 1 t. salt and the water;over high heat, heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to low;cover and simmer 15 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove cover and cook vegetables over high heat 5 minutes longer or until any liquid evaporates.
- Meanwhile, prepare lasagna noodles as lable directs, but do not add salt to water; drain.
- Prepare sauce: In 4-quart saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil until very tender.
- Add tomatoes and their liquid, thyme, 2 1/2 teaspoons sugar, and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt, stirring to break up tomatoes; heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium; cook, uncovered 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a 13x9 inch glass or ceramic baking dish arrange one-fourth of lasagna noodles, overlapping to fit.
- Spread one-third of vegetable mixture over noodles; spoon one-fourth of tomato sauce over vegetables; sprinkle with one-fourth of grated cheese. Repeat layering twice; top with remaining noodles, sauce and cheese.
- Bake lasagna, uncovered, 40 minutes or until hot and bubbly and top is lightly browned.
- Remove lasagna from oven; let stand 10 minutes for easier serving. Serve with parmesan cheese, if desired.