Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
This recipe is from the Christian Science Monitor. It is gorgeous when assembled and absolutely delicious prepared and served with a dab of goat cheese and crusty french bread. Choose only skinny vegetables that will slice uniformly in size.
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced thin
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons good extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 small eggplant
- 1 small zucchini
- 1 small yellow squash
- 1 long red pepper
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme
- goat cheese, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large round or square baking dish, pour tomato puree and spread until evenly distributed. Drop the sliced garlic and chopped onion into the puree, stir in 1 T olive oil and season the sauce generously with salt and pepper.
- Trim ends of the vegetables, removing the seeds from inside the pepper, slicing all into very thin slices, like coins, about 1/16th of an inch thick. I just used a knife and it was quick and easy but the recipe says to use a mandoline.
- Arrange sliced vegetables concentrically from the outer edge of the baking dish to the inside, overlapping and alternating vegetables.
- Drizzle the remaining T olive oil, season with salt and pepper and strip the thyme off the stems and sprinkle over vegetables.
- Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit inside and fit flush on top of the vegetables, not draped over the dish.
- Bake for 50 minutes (it only took mine 43 minutes though-depends on the thickness of your vegetables, i'd imagine). You want the vegetables to have released their liquid, be cooked but not limp and the dish should NOT be browned around the edges. The tomato sauce will be bubbling around everything.
WONDERFUL ~ I didn't have yellow squash so just skipped it. Used orange and green peppers too! Delicious flavors, though I over-cooked a bit. Next time will test at 30 minutes. Thanks for posting this wonderful recipe ~ it will be come a family favorite. Made for Spring PAC 2010!
YAY!!!! I love it i love it i love it! BEautiful picture.
We have been on a fresher diet lately and this was a perfect side dish for dinner. Beautiful presentation! Easy to prepare too. Thanks!