Recipe by Tish
Vegies for a crowd of 50 or more! Good for food service folks or a family reunion. This is a colorful and delicious French vegetable stew that can be enjoyed hot or cold.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 3 1⁄3 lbs onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 8 lbs tomatoes, peeled,seeded and diced
- 6 lbs eggplants, peeled and diced
- 5 1⁄4 lbs zucchini, cut into 1/2 inch slices
- 1 1⁄4 lbs green peppers, julienned
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Put oil and margarine in a deep skillet.
- Saute onions and garlic over medium heat until golden.
- In a large, heavy pan, layer the ingredients as follows: 1/2 the tomatoes, then eggplant, zucchini, peppers, onions, and garlic.
- Repeat with second layer.
- Simmer covered, over low heat for 35-45 minutes.
- Uncover and continue to cook 10 minutes longer to reduce liquid.
- Serve hot or cold.