Recipe by Bev
Make a whole meal out of the French Vegetarian Classic while it is warm or offer it chilled as a salad course. Serve with a crusty bread and top with feta cheese, if desired. From the Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever.
Top Review by Jenna Naquin
I have been looking for well seasoned vegetarian recipes for my parents to try. This one was excellent. Very easy to make and didn't have to stand over a hot stove all day. We love the flavor of basil and this recipe really highlights it. Thanks Bev, my parents, husband and I really enjoyed this one.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped coarsely
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt; let stand in a colander 1/2- 1 hour to drain.
- Press out excess moisture.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the eggplant in crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high setting about 3 hours or until the vegetables are tender but still hold their shape.
- Stir in the tomato paste, olives, and the fresh basil.
- Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.