Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Make a whole meal out of the French Vegetarian Classic while it is warm or offer it chilled as a salad course. Serve with a crusty bread and top with feta cheese, if desired. From the Best Slow Cooker Cookbook Ever.
- 1 large eggplant, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (about 3 medium)
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 1 large red bell peppers or 1 large yellow bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch squares
- 3 medium zucchini, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed through a press
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 (5 1/2 ounce) can pitted ripe olives, drained and chopped coarsely
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt; let stand in a colander 1/2- 1 hour to drain.
- Press out excess moisture.
- Rinse the eggplant with water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Place the eggplant in crock pot.
- Add onions, tomatoes, bell peppers, zucchini, olive oil, basil, garlic, pepper and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Mix well.
- Cover and cook on high setting about 3 hours or until the vegetables are tender but still hold their shape.
- Stir in the tomato paste, olives, and the fresh basil.
- Serve hot, room temperature or chilled.
I have been looking for well seasoned vegetarian recipes for my parents to try. This one was excellent. Very easy to make and didn't have to stand over a hot stove all day. We love the flavor of basil and this recipe really highlights it. Thanks Bev, my parents, husband and I really enjoyed this one.
This is a wonderful dish to serve when here in August when tomatoes, peppers, and eggplants are coming in and zucchini is still going strong. Loved using so many garden fresh veggies!
I've made this a few times now, once as stated which is great. I've also used spaghetti sauce instead of tomato paste and served over pasta. It's worked both following the instructions and glopping everything together and cooking on low while I was at work.
I don't bother with preparing the eggplant...I thought that was usually done when frying to reduce the amount of oil that's absorbed.
Excellent basic recipe for ratatouille. Those that did not find it flavorful enough just add come hot pepper flakes (or whatever your choice is) and it does make a difference. Also, you can add hot Italian sausages (simmered for 5 mins. and skinned) cut in 1/2 inch lengths. There are many variations.