Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a very hearty vegetarian dish. I often use half and half potato and sweet potato or just sweet potato for the mash and either work very well too.
- 6 large potatoes, for mashing
- sea salt
- 6-8 leaf fresh basil, very finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 aubergine, diced into 21/2cm pieces
- 2 medium courgettes, halved lengthwise & sliced into 21/2cm pieces
- 2 red peppers, each half divided into 4 pieces
- 2 medium red onions, each divided into 8 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4.92 ml dried Italian seasoning
- 450 g canorganic plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- . Put the oven on Gas 5, 190C, 375°F.
- . Peel and cook the potatoes in salted water. Drain and mash.
- . Stir the basil into the mashed potato along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in enough milk to make a creamy mash.
- . Place the aubergine, courgettes, red peppers, red onions, and garlic in a deep oven-proof dish.
- . Add two tablespoons of olive oil, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and toss well.
- . Cook on the top shelf of a pre-heated oven, Gas 7,220C, 425F, for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from the oven and stir in the tomatoes.
- . Season with salt and pepper.
- . Reduce the oven temperature to Gas 5,190C, 375°F.
- . Spread the mashed potato carefully on top.
- . Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- . Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden.
This was delicious. Thank you for such a tasty meal. The timing was off for me. It took at least 2 hours, start to finish. I took it out of the oven before the potatoes got to the golden stage because we needed to eat, as we had somewhere we had to go. Perhaps, if I had put steps 4 and 5 before steps 2 and 3 it would not have taken the 2 hours. Still, it was quite tasty, and the house smelled wonderful! Thanks again for such a fine recipe. Made for Spring 2007 PAC.