Recipe by Aileen2
This is a very hearty vegetarian dish. I often use half and half potato and sweet potato or just sweet potato for the mash and either work very well too.
Top Review by Sweetiebarbara
This was delicious. Thank you for such a tasty meal. The timing was off for me. It took at least 2 hours, start to finish. I took it out of the oven before the potatoes got to the golden stage because we needed to eat, as we had somewhere we had to go. Perhaps, if I had put steps 4 and 5 before steps 2 and 3 it would not have taken the 2 hours. Still, it was quite tasty, and the house smelled wonderful! Thanks again for such a fine recipe. Made for Spring 2007 PAC.
- 6 large potatoes, for mashing
- sea salt
- 6 -8 leaves fresh basil, very finely chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 aubergine, diced into 21/2cm pieces
- 2 medium courgettes, halved lengthwise & sliced into 21/2cm pieces
- 2 red peppers, each half divided into 4 pieces
- 2 medium red onions, each divided into 8 pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 (450 g) canorganic plum tomatoes, roughly chopped
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- . Put the oven on Gas 5, 190C, 375°F.
- . Peel and cook the potatoes in salted water. Drain and mash.
- . Stir the basil into the mashed potato along with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in enough milk to make a creamy mash.
- . Place the aubergine, courgettes, red peppers, red onions, and garlic in a deep oven-proof dish.
- . Add two tablespoons of olive oil, Italian seasoning and a pinch of salt and toss well.
- . Cook on the top shelf of a pre-heated oven, Gas 7,220C, 425F, for 30 minutes, tossing occasionally. Remove from the oven and stir in the tomatoes.
- . Season with salt and pepper.
- . Reduce the oven temperature to Gas 5,190C, 375°F.
- . Spread the mashed potato carefully on top.
- . Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- . Bake in the centre of a pre-heated oven for 30 minutes or until the topping is golden.