Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
This dish retains the color and texture of each vegetable and is delicious served hot as a luncheon or supper dish or cold as an appetizer. Also great as a side dish to any grilled meat.Serve with a good crusty bread for a meal or with crudites and pita bread as an appetizer. Originally from a September 1978 issue of Bon Apetite.
- 1 lb eggplant, peeled (about 1 medium)
- 1 lb zucchini, unpeeled
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 8 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 lbs tomatoes, peeled, seeded, drained and cut into 1/2-inch strips
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh dill, snipped
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated (to taste)
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped (or 1 1/2 t. dried)
- 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed and drained
- Cut eggplant crosswise into slices 1/2-inch thick, then cut each slice into strips about 1 inch wide and 2 to 3 inches long.
- Quarter zucchini lengthwise then half crosswise into 2 to 3 inch lengths.
- Place eggplant and zucchini in medium bowl, sprinkle with salt and toss lightly; allow to stand 30 minutes.
- Drain off all liquid, rinse vegetables, and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Toss gently in flour.
- Heat 3 tablespoons oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat until very hot.
- Add half the eggplant and zucchini and sauté until golden; transfer to bowl.
- Add 3 more tablespoons of oil and sauté remaining eggplant and zucchini; add to bowl.
- Place about 2 more tablespoons of oil in same skillet and sauté onion, green pepper and garlic briefly, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Place 1/3 of tomato-onion mixture in a 10 inch skillet and sprinkle with 1/3 each of parsley, dill, cheese and basil. Top with half of eggplant-zucchini mixture.
- Continue layering, ending with herbs and cheese.
- Cover and simmer gently over low heat 10 minutes.
- Uncover, add capers and continue simmering 30 to 45 minutes, or until most of liquid has evaporated. *Make sure heat remains low to prevent scorching.
- Serve hot, at room temperature, or chilled.