Prep 40 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is an easy recipe and tastes great as a main course, served on a bed of Jasmine rice, with crumbled Feta cheese and chopped black olives. It came from the Feb 2003 Real Simple magazine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch, pieces
- 1 small zucchini, halved length wise and cut into slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slivers
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh basil leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
- Over medium-low heat, add the oil to a large pan with the onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Stir occasionally till the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggplant and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 6 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the basil and a few grinds of black pepper.
Even though most of us thought this was good, but not outstanding, I am going to give this four stars. The one member of our family who LOVES eggplant rolled up her eyes in bliss as she ate this, so her reaction is the one I am gauging this by. The rest of us thought this was "Good enough to use up extra eggplant from the garden" good, but not "Run out and buy eggplant from the store" good. DS2 wouldn't touch it, but DD6 ate most of hers. It was very good with fresh french rolls.
This is absolutely the best recipe for ratatouille. I've made it twice both times in the claypot, 450 for about an hour after lightly browning the vegetables on the stove, and both times it was outstanding. A touch of fresh oregano adds to the taste. Remember, it shrinks in the claypot, so it really only serves two. Thanks
We really enjoyed this! I didn't have fresh basil so had to make due with dried, and also added a dash of oregano, but next time will try with fresh! Also used 2 regular tomatoes instead of 4 plum. We served over angel hair pasta with a crusty loaf of bread! Yum! My husband has requested it be made again soon! Thank you so much!!