This is an easy recipe and tastes great as a main course, served on a bed of Jasmine rice, with crumbled Feta cheese and chopped black olives. It came from the Feb 2003 Real Simple magazine.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch, pieces
- 1 small zucchini, halved length wise and cut into slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slivers
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh basil leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
- Over medium-low heat, add the oil to a large pan with the onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Stir occasionally till the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggplant and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 6 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the basil and a few grinds of black pepper.