Recipe by Mrs.Habu
This is an easy recipe and tastes great as a main course, served on a bed of Jasmine rice, with crumbled Feta cheese and chopped black olives. It came from the Feb 2003 Real Simple magazine.
Top Review by CraftScout
Even though most of us thought this was good, but not outstanding, I am going to give this four stars. The one member of our family who LOVES eggplant rolled up her eyes in bliss as she ate this, so her reaction is the one I am gauging this by. The rest of us thought this was "Good enough to use up extra eggplant from the garden" good, but not "Run out and buy eggplant from the store" good. DS2 wouldn't touch it, but DD6 ate most of hers. It was very good with fresh french rolls.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 small eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch, pieces
- 1 small zucchini, halved length wise and cut into slices
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into slivers
- 4 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shredded fresh basil leaf
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Over medium-low heat, add the oil to a large pan with the onion, garlic and bay leaf.
- Stir occasionally till the onion begins to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add the eggplant and cook for 8 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the zucchini, red bell pepper, tomatoes, and salt.
- Cook over medium heat for 6 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the basil and a few grinds of black pepper.