Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
wonderful vegetables, especially when in season.
- 3 small eggplants, diced
- 4 zucchini, diced
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 6 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 green peppers, cut in strips
- 2 red peppers, cut in strips
- 6 tomatoes, peeled and seeded,quartered
- 8 cloves garlic, minced
- 20 fresh basil leaves
- 1 bunch parsley, stemmed
- 8 sprigs thyme
- put eggplant in 1 colander, zucchini in another.
- sprinkle with salt, let drain for 30 mins blot dry with paper towels.
- heat 2 tbsp oil in skillet.
- add onions and saute until clear, about 15 minutes, remove.
- add 2 tbsp oil to skillet, add eggplant, saute until golden, about 20 mins, remove to a large heavy pot, add some onions add 2 tbsp oil to skillet, add zucchini, saute about 10 minutes, add to pot, cover with some onions add 1 tbsp oil to pan, add peppers, saute about 10 mins, add to pot, cover with some onions add remaining oil to pot.
- add tomatoes, garlic, herbs, cook until thickened about 15 minutes, add to pot simmer partially covered for 1 1/2 hrs, adjust seasoning and cook 30 minutes more.
Ok CHIA, you get a standing ovation for this one. This made the whole house smell wonderful and the scent lingered for a few hours afterwards, making everyone hungry for more!
This was really good. It is the second version I have made on Zaar. I like to make rattatoulie becuse I can eat it on my diet. I made simple roast chicken and ate this as a topping along side of it. The fresh herbs really made a big difference in adding flavor to this dish.
What an marvelous way to serve your summer garden veggies! This dish would be great served over rice or perhaps along side a plate of veal parmesan! This is an excellent dish to really get the cook involved in the preparation! This is so much fun to prepare! I made exactly as recommended by chia. We enjoyed our Ratatouille very much, Chia! Thank you for posting!