Recipe by -Sylvie-
I found this recipe in a cookbook full of healthy Medditerranean dishes and have adapted it a little so it would suit the ingredients I had on hand. It's great as a side, with meat or fish, or you can serve it as a thick sauce over your favourite pasta. It can be eaten hot or cold. You can also change the quantities of vegetables and use more of one and less of the other, or try adding mushrooms for example. It adapts well to whatever is in your fridge.
- 28 ounces stewed tomatoes (plum)
- 2 onions, sliced thinly
- 2 red peppers, cut into chunks
- 1 yellow pepper, cut into chunks
- 1 aubergine, cut into chunks
- 2 small zucchini, cut into thick slices
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a little oil in a large, heavy based pan. Add the onions and fry for 5 minutes. Now add the peppers and fry for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from the pan.
- Add a little new oil to the pan and fry the aubergines for 5 minutes, then add the zucchini and fry for 3 minutes.
- Remove from pan.
- Add the garlic, bay leaves, thyme, sugar and tomatoes to the empty pan and simmer until the tomatoes start breaking down.
- Return all the vegetables to the pan and simmer on low for about 15 minutes.
- Stir regularly and season with salt and pepper.
- The vegetables should be very soft but at the same time still have some of their texture.
- Season with more salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immidiately or allow to cool down and serve it cold.