Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
a local grocery store was giving out samples of this and it was DELICIOUS!! this may be served either as a side dish to meat or seafood, or over pasta as a vegetarian main course. haven't made this myself yet so yield and cook-times are estimates.
- 1 cup chicken stock or 1 cup vegetable stock or 1 cup water
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium zucchini, diced
- 1 yellow squash, diced
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 -5 roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 -2 fresh garlic clove, finely minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh tarragon
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil
- Heat oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Cook onion and celery in oil for 3-5 minutes until golden but not brown.
- Dice eggplant and immediately add to onion and celery mixture, increasing heat slightly.
- After 2-3 minutes, add squash, zucchini, and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes until all ingredients have browned slightly.
- Add Roma tomatoes and deglaze pan with balsamic. Simmer for a few minutes, then add stock and 1/2 tsp salt. Stir and simmer 15-20 minutes until most of the liquid has evaporated and vegetables have a stew-like consistency.
- Add fresh tarragon, thyme, and salt to taste. Finish with finely chopped fresh basil as a garnish.
- For Vegetarian do not use the chicken broth.