Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are a Scottish cookie, used in some deserts.
- 4 ounces sweet almonds, blanched and peeled
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 egg whites
- 8 drops rose water
- ice water
- Preheat oven to 325°F Line a cookie sheet with brown paper (as from grocery bags).
- Pound or grind the almonds as fine as possible.
- Gradually add the sugar, egg whites, rose water and almond extract, beating until it becomes a thick paste.
- Using a teaspoon dipped in ice water, drop little mounds of the mixture on the brown paper.
- They will spread while baking, so place them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake 20-22 minutes, or until puffy and delicately browned.
- Remove the paper, biscuits and all, from the cookie sheet.
- Let it cool for a few seconds while you wring out a cloth in cold water.
- Lay the cloth out flat, and place the sheet of biscuits on top of it.
- After a few minutes the paper will release its hold, and you can lift the biscuits off to cool on a rack.
- Repeat the process (with fresh pieces of brown paper) until you have used all the batter.