Prep 15 mins
Cook 504 hrs
This recipe is from the NY Times. If you read Regency romances and wondered what ratafia was here it is. You can make it with vegetables or herbs. Be aware it does need to sit for three full weeks.
- 1 cup cut-up fruit or 1 cup vegetables or 1 cup lightly crushed herbs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 vanilla bean, sliced lengthwise
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 750 ml wine (1 bottle, red or white)
- Place all ingredients in a large glass jar and stir to dissolve sugar.
- Refrigerate 3 to 4 weeks. Strain through a sieve lined with a cheesecloth, pressing down gently on solids.
- Using a funnel, pour ratafia into clean wine bottles and cork tightly.
- Store in refrigerator.