Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This soup in Russia is normally made with roast pheasant carcases made into stock but it is easier to use chicken stock. If you have the roast pheasant carcases, go for it. This soup is best when made the day before serving and reheated.
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 potato, sliced
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 stick celery, sliced
- 2 pickled gherkins, sliced thinly
- 1 ounce pearl barley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Cook the pearl barley for 40 minute.
- To the stock in another saucepan, add the potato, carrot, celery and gherkins. Cook for 30 minute
- Strain the pearl barley and add to the soup. Season to taste.