Sweet, buttery, lemony goodness! This is a decadent, impressive cake for special occasions or just because you love someone! My hubby requests this for Valentine’s Day and anniversaries. I made it for my mom’s 70th birthday celebration. It’s that special. But it’s easy to make, too. The only tricky part is splitting the 2 cake layers into 4. Even if you don’t get it done perfectly (and my layers are sometimes a bit uneven), it will still look and taste great. The cake layers and frosting are from two different Cake Mix Doctor recipes. I put them together with the raspberry filling. Don’t even think about ruining the cake by using raspberry jam with seeds.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 170.09 g white chocolate, coarsely chopped (can use 6 oz white choc chips)
- 517.37 g package white cake mix (the type withOUT pudding)
- 158.51 ml water
- 78.07 ml vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 large egg whites
- 29.58 ml fresh lemon juice
- 4.92 ml grated lemon zest
- 177.44 ml seedless raspberry preserves (do not use jam with seeds)
- 1For cake:.
- 2Heat oven to 350. Generously grease and flour 2 9” round cake pans.
- 3Melt the white chocolate in a small glass bowl in the microwave for 1 minute. (It will probably hold most of its shape even though it is starting to melt). Remove from the microwave and stir the chocolate with a rubber spatula until smooth. Let cool for approximately 5 minutes.
- 4Place the cake mix, water, oil, eggs, egg whites, lemon juice, and lemon zest in a large bowl. Add the slightly cooled melted chocolate. Mix with an electric mixer on low speed for 1 minute. Stop your mixer and scrape the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Using a medium speed, mix again for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- 5Divide the batter between your prepared cake pans. Smooth the tops with a rubber spatula, then place the pans in the oven on the center rack, side by side.
- 6Set the timer for 28 minutes and then check for doneness. The layers should be golden brown and spring back when lightly pressed with your finger. It may take up to 4 minutes longer in the oven, but don’t overcook.
- 7Remove from the oven and place on wire racks to cool for 10 minutes.
- 8Run a knife around the edge of each layer and invert onto a rack, then invert on another rack so that each layer is right side up. Allow to cool for at least 30 more minutes.
- 9For frosting:.
- 10Place the butter and 1 cup of the powdered sugar in a large mixing bowl. With an electric mixer, beat on low speed for 30 seconds.
- 11Add the remaining powdered sugar alternately with the milk and lemon juice (1 cup of sugar, then 1 T liquid at a time), blending with the mixer after each addition. Add the lemon zest. If the frosting seems very stiff, add up to 1 more tablespoon milk. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat until light and fluffy, approx 1 minute.
- 12To assemble:.
- 13Place the raspberry preserves in a small bowl and stir until it is smooth and no lumps are present.
- 14Using a long serrated knife, carefully split the first cake layer horizontally into halves, creating 2 layers. Place the bottom half on a cake plate, cut side up. Spread ¼ cup of the raspberry preserves on it. Place the top half of the layer, cut side down, on top of the first half. Again, spread with ¼ cup of the preserves.
- 15Split the 2nd layer in the same way you did the first. Place the bottom half on top of your partially assembled cake, cut side up, and top with the remaining ¼ cup of preserves. Then top with the top half, cut side down.
- 16Frost the top and sides of the cake with the lemon buttercream frosting.
- 17If you are garnishing the cake with fresh raspberries, wait until right before you serve it. Otherwise juice from the raspberries will start to spread into the frosting. It won’t ruin it, but it won’t look very pretty after a while.
- 18Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry White Chocolate Cake With Lemon Buttercream
Serving Size: 1 (135 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 463.4
- Calories from Fat 164
- Total Fat 18.3 g
- Saturated Fat 7.1 g
- Cholesterol 56.6 mg
- Sodium 293.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 72.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 60.8 g
- Protein 3.9 g