My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium, nonreactive saucepan over low heat, warm the vinegar just until it begins to give off steam (do not bring to a boil).
- 2Put 1 pint of the raspberries into a fine sieve fitted over a sterilized 1/2-gallon clamp jar.
- 3Pour the warm vinegar over the berries and let it run into the jar, then add the berries to the jar.
- 4Allow the mixture to cool 20 to 30 minutes to room temperature, then seal and shake the jar gently.
- 5Set the jar out of direct sunlight and away from heat to steep for 4 days, shaking it every so often. While steeping, the vinegar will take on a raspberry hue and the fruit will lose most of its color.
- 6Strain the mixture through a fine sieve into a large batter bowl with a handle or into a large, nonreactive saucepan.
- 7Rinse the jar and return the strained vinegar to it. Rinse the bowl or saucepan.
- 8Dump the fruit and rinse the sieve. Dampen a flat-bottom coffee filter, then line the sieve with the filter and fit it over the bowl or saucepan.
- 9Transfer the vinegar to flasks or bottles. Discard fruit.
- 10If you wish, spear 6 to 8 whole raspberries on a wooden skewer and put the skewer into the container before filling.
- 11The vinegar should be ready to use immediately, with a shelf life of at least 1 year.
- 12VARIATION: For Raspberry Lemon Thyme Vinegar, place 1 sprig fresh lemon thy me in a flask or bottle before adding the vinegar. Fill, seal, and steep out of direct sunlight and away from heat for 1 week before using or shipping.
- 13CRANBERRY VINEGAR Follow the recipe for Raspberry Vinegar, except substitute 4 cups (1 pound) fresh cranberries, coarsely chopped, for the raspberries. Decorate, if you wish, with skewers of whole cranberries.
Browse Our Top Condiments, Etc. Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Condiments, Etc. Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Vinegar
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 27.0
- Calories from Fat 3
- Total Fat 0.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 0.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 2.3 g
- Protein 0.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
white wine vinegar