Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
Update 9/16/2006 - I adopted this from the Recipezaar account. I'm not positive as to the original poster but I'm guessing this to be one of the esteemed Mean Chef's recipes.
- depending on the sweetness of the raspberries (frozen tend to be sweeter than fresh) you may need to adjust the amount of sugar to taste.
- In a one quart saucepan, combine vinegar, raspberries and shallot.
- Crush raspberries with a fork.
- Bring mixture to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Cook for 5 mins or until mixture is reduced to approx 1/2 a cup.
- Strain mixture through a sieve into a blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Allow to cool.
- Add honey, sugar, lemon juice, mustard, dried thyme, salt, black pepper and water.
- Blend until smooth.
- Scrape down sides with a spatula and blend briefly to ensure that everything is well mixed.
- While blender is running, slowly drizzle half the canola oil in a steady stream.
- Stop the blender and scrape down the sides again.
- Turn the blender back on and slowly drizzle the remaining oil inches.
- Process until emulsified.
Superb and very fruity! Using raspberries, not raspberry vinaigrette. I did not blend mine, we don't mind little fruity lumps in our vinaigrette, but there wasn't really any, it was smooth but seedy. We like seeds, they are good for you.
Although I had reviewed this last year, I noticed I had forgotten to put the stars it deserved. Oops, sorry.
The flavor was good, but mine didn't look like the picture depicted...it came looking milky (not a vinaigrette), and I'm not sure why. Any suggestions?