Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons lemon zest, finely grated
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, softened (1 stick)
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 pint fresh raspberry
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 375 F and line 14 regular size muffin tins with paper liners.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the sugar into a small bowl and combine with the lemon zest, mixing until sugar is moistened.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl.
- In another bowl, beat butter and remaining 1 cup sugar until creamy.
- Beat in egg, then buttermilk,vanilla to the butter mixture.
- Beat in half of the lemon sugar mixture and all of the flour mixture.
- Fill muffin tins evenly and top each with about 4 raspberries.
- Bake until tops are lightly browned and a toothpick tests clean, about 35 minutes.
- Brush tops of muffins with the cream and sprinkle with the remaining lemon sugar.
- Cool completely.