These are quite similar to a shortbread --- for the holidays place a candied red or green cherry in the middle of each cookie in place of the jelly or jam.
- set oven to 325 degrees F.
- Lightly grease a cookie/baking sheet.
- In a large bowl using an electric mixer at medium speed beat the butter with vanilla and almond extract (if using) until fluffy.
- In a bowl combine the confectioners sugar with cornstarch and flour; add to the creamed mixture and beat until smooth and combined.
- Using hands shape into 24 round balls, then place on cookie sheet about 2-inches apart.
- Push down slightly using the palm of your hand then make a small indent in the middle of each cookie.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon jelly or jam into the hole.
- Bake for about 8-10 minutes (watch closely that the edges do not brown too much).
- Cool on wire racks.
These cookies are excellent! I made them for my hubby yesterday and they tasted fantastic. The only thing I did not know was that I should have let these cookies TOTALLY COOL on the cookie sheets before trying to remove them to the racks - that would have prevented them from falling apart. They still taste yummy though but the first 12 didn't look so nice. I'm bringing the leftovers to work today as leaving them around the house would just be dangerous. Thanks again Kittencal for another recipe keeper. By the way, I love your new website and would like to buy your cookbook when it's available!
I followed the directions to a T and these cookies did not turn out. I don't know what I did wrong. They crumble as soon as you pick them up. And they don't have a food flavor.
Excellent, but not my mom's recipe.