1 hr 15 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
Walnut pastry, vanilla custard filling, topped with fresh glazed raspberries- sounds totally yummy! Originally from a May 1984 issue of Bon Appetit in the R.S.V.P. Letters to the Editor section. The recipe was requested from Papa Hayden's Restaurant in Portland,Oregon.Refrigeration time is not included in prep time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
Walnut Pastry Dough
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature (1 stick)
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup walnuts, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten to blend
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1For Pastry.
- 2Butter 10 or 11-inch tart pan with removable bottom.
- 3Cream 1/2 cup butter and sugar in large bowl.
- 4Mix in walnuts.
- 5Blend in egg and almond extract.
- 6Stir in flour until completely incorporated.
- 7Press dough onto sides and bottom of tart pan.
- 8Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 9Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 10Bake shell until golden brown, 15 to 20 minutes.
- 11Cool tart crust to room temperature.
- 12For Vanilla Custard.
- 13Beat yolks, sugar,cornstarch, and vanilla in medium bowl until pale and thick.
- 14Heat milk in heavy medium saucepan.
- 15Beat milk into yolk mixture until smooth.
- 16Return mixture to saucepan and whisk over medium heat until very thick, about 5 minutes.
- 17Return mixture to bowl and beat until cool.
- 18Beat in butter 1 tablespoon at a time.
- 19Refrigerate until chilled.
- 20To Assemble.
- 21Spread custard evenly over bottom of tart crust.
- 22Starting from outside edge, arrange berries in concentric circles over custard, placing berries as close together as possible.
- 23Refrigerate 30 minutes.
- 24Melt red current jelly in heavy small saucepan over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- 25Brush gently over berries, covering completely.
- 26Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- 27Serve tart with whipped cream.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Tart With Walnut Pastry
Serving Size: 1 (227 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 622.9
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 21.1 g
- Cholesterol 170.6 mg
- Sodium 108.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 32.5 g
- Protein 6.9 g