Prep 30 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is a rich and decadent breakfast dish. I like to make this on 'holiday mornings', such as Easter. I've used strawberries in place of the raspberries at times.
- 1 loaf brioche bread or 1 loaf challah (or other egg bread)
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2⁄3 cup heavy cream
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 ounces very cold cream cheese, in one block
- unsalted butter
- 1 cup fresh raspberries or 1 cup thawed frozen raspberries
- confectioners' sugar
- Cut the bread into 12 slices and put 6 plates in the oven to warm at 200°.
- Whisk the eggs until foamy; add the milk, cream, salt, vanilla and sugar and whisk to blend; pour into a sheet pan with sides (jelly roll pan); arrange the bread slices in the pan in a single layer and let soak.
- Meanwhile, using a sharp knife, slice the cream cheese into 12 thin slices.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium-high heat; add about 1 tablespoon of butter and heat until melted and foamy.
- Working in two batches, if necessary, arrange half the soaked bread slices in the skillet; cook until golden brown, 3-5 minutes; lay 2 slices of cream cheese on each slice of bread, then place 1/6 of the raspberries on top of the cheese; cover each with another slice of soaked bread and press firmly with a spatula.
- Turn the'sandwich' over and brown on the other side, about 3 minutes more.
- Transfer to warmed plates, sprinkle lightly with confectioners' sugar and serve.
WOW!!! What else can I say? I made this for our Easter morning brunch and it was amazing! I used challah bread, light cream cheese and fresh raspberries. We also topped it off with a bit of dark, pure maple syrup. Next time we would go a little lighter on the cream cheese and perhaps eat half as much. The slices of bread were really large, so each "sandwich" would have done 2 people as it is definitely not a "light" dish and we found ourselves stuffed in the end! (Not that we stopped eating it mind you - it was way too good!) Thanks Hey Jude!
Oh YUMMY! I should have taken the warning that this was going to be HUGE! Each "piece" took up almost a whole plate! It was delicious though! Thank you so much!