1 hr 5 mins
I love raspberry and almonds together! I adapted this recipe from one I found on America's Test Kitchen. Toasting the nuts adds great flavor so don't skip this step. This recipe is easily doubled and would then be made in a 15" jelly roll pan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups oats
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup toasted almond, finely chopped (pecans or walnuts are good too)
- 12 tablespoons butter, cut into 12 pieces and softened but still cool
- 1 cup raspberry preserves (or what ever flavor strikes your fancy, SEE NOTE)
- 1Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees, spray a 9x13" pan with nonstick cooking spray, you may also line the pan with foil with extra hanging over for easier removal, spray foil.
- 2In mixer bowl, mix flour, oats, sugars, extract, baking soda, salt, and nuts at low speed until combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer running at low speed, add butter pieces; continue to beat until mixture is well-blended and resembles wet sand, about 2 minutes.
- 3Transfer 2/3 of mixture to prepared pan and use hands to press crumbs evenly into bottom, bake until starting to brown, about 20 minutes.
- 4Using rubber spatula spread preserves evenly over hot bottom crust; sprinkle remaining oat/nut mixture evenly over preserves; bake until preserves bubble around edges and top is golden brown, about 30 minutes, turn pan halfway through baking time.
- 5Cool on wire rack then remove from pan using foil handles, cut into squares.
- 7After reading the first reviews for this, I realized the jam I used is lower sugar than many jams (9 gms per TBLS) It would be worth it to find a type that isn't overly sweet or try adding a little lemon juice to cut the sweetness.
Browse Our Top Bar Cookie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Raspberry Squares
Serving Size: 1 (45 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 187.6
- Calories from Fat 71
- Total Fat 7.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 15.2 mg
- Sodium 84.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 12.3 g
- Protein 2.9 g