Recipe by NaNa BKM
This is an awesome fruit/jello salad, could be served as a dessert if you choose to. I am asked to bring this salad to all our family holiday gatherings. My sister-in law got it from a co-worker several years ago. Recently I have experimented using strawberries & strawberry jello or cans of mandarin oranges & orange jello & it is always good!!
- 2 (10 ounce) packages frozen raspberries
- 1 (6 ounce) package raspberry Jell-O gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (8 ounce) container Cool Whip
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 3⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 cups crushed pretzels
Directions See How It's Made
- First layer: Dissolve jello in the boiling water.
- Add the raspberries, which have been partially thawed.
- Pour into a bundt pan & refrigerate until set, approx 2-3 hours.
- Second layer: Whip cream cheese with mixer (it is best to have the cream cheese at room temp, I take it out of fridge when I put the jello in to set).
- Mix in the powdered sugar & Cool Whip and whip well.
- Spread over set jello & place in refrigerator.
- Third layer: I crush the pretzels in a gallon size ziploc bag & use a rolling pin. Could also crush using a blender & doing 1/2 at a time, making sure not to make them too fine.
- Mix melted butter, sugar & pretzels together.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
- Stir & cool slightly then sprinkle over the second layer.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Place bundt pan in sink of warm water for a minute, slip a knife around the edges in a couple spots to loosen from pan, place serving plate on top & flip to unmold the salad. Slice & serve.
- Hint-If you choose to make this in a 9x13 cake pan instead of a bundt pan, you could reverse the layers & just bake the pretzel layer in the bottom of the cake pan for 10 minutes without stirring & cool slightly. You need to be very careful spreading the second layer over the pretzel layer. Then the jello layer goes on top & refrigerate overnight. This way you don't have to wait for the jello to set before completing the other 2 layers & you would not unmold. This way works best if bringing to a potluck.