Recipe by Is This Really Necessary
A lovely dessert that resembles slightly a raspberry crème brulée. Adapted from a recipe by Stephanie Alexander. Works best with a blowtorch, but can be made in the oven instead. The slivovitch can be replaced by plum or raspberry eau-de-vie or (in a pinch) "normal" brandy. Make sure that the raspberries are fresh.
- 30 g sliced almonds
- 1 cup milk
- 75 g caster sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 25 g flour
- 250 ml cream
- 2 tablespoons plum brandy (slivovitch)
- 500 g raspberries
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Toast the almond flakes until golden brown.
- Heat milk slowly with 2/3 of the sugar.
- Whisk yolks with the remainder of the sugar until pale and thick in a saucepan. Add flour. Gradually whisk in boiling milk/sugar mixture. Keep on whisking vigorously on low heat until mixture thickens. Simmer on lowest heat for about two minutes while stirring. Remove from heat. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Whip pastry cream made in step 3 with slivovitch to soft peaks. Whisk cream through the mixture.
- Melt butter and grease a shallow oven dish (1 l). Spoon in half of the cream. Cover with raspberries and almond flakes. Cover with remainder of cream. (Up to this point, the recipe can be made in advance. In that case, cover and refrigerate.).
- Cover top of gratin with sugar. Blowtorch until the top starts to caramelise -- the fruit should not be boiling! (Alternatively, do this in a very hot oven or under and overhead grill.) Serve immediately.