Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
Adapted from kitchenlane.com. Takes a bit of preparation and time, but it is delicious! Can even use all homo milk instead of cream.
Ice Cream Base
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄3 cups heavy cream (whipping)
- 2 cups whole milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon raspberry extract (or substitute vanilla extract and 2 pinches of fresh lemon zest)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese, softened (optional)
- 2 cups raspberries
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup plus 1 tablespoon water, divided
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons corn syrup
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- To make ice cream base, mix sugar, 1 cup cream, milk, corn syrup and salt in a large pot over medium heat. Bring to a gentle boil, adjusting the heat as needed. Let boil for 4 minutes.
- Mix together remaining 1/3 cup cream and cornstarch; add to milk in pot. Return to a boil and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in extract and cream cheese, if using. Cool in fridge overnight.
- To make raspberry sauce, combine raspberries, sugar, 1/4 cup water, corn syrup, lemon zest and lemon juice in pot over medium heat.
- Adjust the heat so the mixture boils gently, then cook for 10 to 12 minutes or until the berries are soft and have broken down. In a cup, stir together the cornstarch with remaining 1 tbsp water until well blended. Stir the mixture into the berries and bring to a gentle boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Pour sauce through a sieve to get rid of the seeds. Chill remaining liquid in fridge overnight.
- To make the ice cream, put the ice cream base in an ice cream maker and proceed according to the manufacturer’s directions. When it has finished processing, spoon into a well chilled 1-quart or larger freezer-safe storage container. Add raspberry sauce.
- With a table knife held vertically, swirl the mixtures together to create ripples of sauce throughout; for large ripples and streaks mix fairly lightly, for a more blended ice cream, mix more thoroughly. Immediately freeze, airtight, for up to 2 weeks.