Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Rhubarb reminds me so much of summertime desserts when I was a child. My Mom had a huge patch of rhubarb and she served it all the time, but mostly with strawberries. I couldn't wait to try this recipe from Sunset Magazine. We weren't disappointed! We like this with vanilla ice cream but it would also be good with sweetened whipped cream.
- 236.59 ml rolled oats
- 118.29 ml all-purpose flour
- 118.29 ml finely chopped walnuts
- 118.29 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml ground cinnamon
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 0.59 ml salt
- 118.29 ml cold butter, cut into chunks
- 340.19 g rhubarb (about 3 stalks)
- 177.44 ml granulated sugar
- 29.58 ml cornstarch
- 946.36 ml raspberries, rinsed and drained
- In a large bowl, mix oats, flour, walnuts, brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and salt. With your fingers or a pastry blender, rub or cut butter into oat mixture until coarse crumbs form. Cover and chill.
- Rinse rhubarb; trim off and discard green parts of stalks. Cut red parts into 1/2-inch thick slices; you need about 2 cups of sliced rhubarb. In a large bowl, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, raspberries and rhubarb and mix gently to coat. Pour into a shallow 2 to 3-qt. baking dish and sprinkle evenly with the topping.
- Bake in a 350° oven until topping is golden brown and fruit is bubbling, about 45 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature with ice cream or whipped cream.
Delicious! I think I ended up with way more rhubarb and less raspberries but I loved the combination. The topping was also really nice - I love crumble made with oats! Thanks for posting the recipe.
Very good crisp! I used thawed frozen fruit and chopped almonds as my husband is allergic to walnuts. Thank you for posting!
This was sooo good. We really enjoyed the semi sweet, tart tasting crisp. The individual flavours of the rhubarb and raspberries shone thru. The topping was wonderful, flavourful and crisp. A new family favourite. Thank you so much for sharing Hey Jude.