Recipe by Derf
Always looking for ways to use our frozen berries, this one turned out great. from Canadian living mag.
Top Review by Starfire (aka Wendy)
I just made this with Splenda, works like a charm! My Dad has to watch his sugar, so this was a dream come true for him. Also, I put this in my crockpot the baking time would be on high for 4 hours. Browns up nicely and tastes like you put it in the oven.
- 300 g frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Drain raspberries, reserving juice in liquid measure; add enough water to make 1 cup, set aside.
- In greased 8 inch square metal cake pan, toss raspberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set raspberry mixture aside.
- Cake topping: In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk.
- Scrape evenly over raspberries, smoothing top,set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring reserved raspberry juice and remaining 1/4 cup sugar to boil; pour over batter.
- Bake in centre of 350 F degree oven until bubblely at edges and cake is firm to the touch, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Make ahead = store at room temp for up to 8 hours; reheat if desired.
- I use becel margarine instead of butter and Splenda instead of sugar, comes out nice and light.