Prep 25 mins
Cook 50 mins
Always looking for ways to use our frozen berries, this one turned out great. from Canadian living mag.
- 300 g frozen raspberries, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1⁄2 cup margarine, softened
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- Drain raspberries, reserving juice in liquid measure; add enough water to make 1 cup, set aside.
- In greased 8 inch square metal cake pan, toss raspberries with 1/4 cup sugar; set raspberry mixture aside.
- Cake topping: In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs, 1 at a time, then vanilla.
- In separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add to butter mixture alternately with milk, making 3 additions of flour mixture and 2 of milk.
- Scrape evenly over raspberries, smoothing top,set aside.
- In a small saucepan, bring reserved raspberry juice and remaining 1/4 cup sugar to boil; pour over batter.
- Bake in centre of 350 F degree oven until bubblely at edges and cake is firm to the touch, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- Make ahead = store at room temp for up to 8 hours; reheat if desired.
- I use becel margarine instead of butter and Splenda instead of sugar, comes out nice and light.
I just made this with Splenda, works like a charm! My Dad has to watch his sugar, so this was a dream come true for him. Also, I put this in my crockpot the baking time would be on high for 4 hours. Browns up nicely and tastes like you put it in the oven.
Very nice dessert. It is very similar to one that I make with rhubarb so I knew I'd enjoy this. Thanks Derf. Roxygirl
So light and yummy! Followed the directions exactly and am very pleased. Just the right amount of sweetness from the sugar versus the tartness of the raspberries. Mine was done in 50 minutes exactly. Will definitely make again!