Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
A Gale Grand recipe courtesy of the Food Network that I tweaked to lower the fat and calories somewhat. A few mini-chocolate chips added in with the cream cheese filling will really take this over the top.
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry
- 4 ounces low-fat cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 tablespoon egg substitute (or 1 egg yolk)
- 1⁄4 cup Splenda granular (or 1/2 cup powdered sugar)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon egg substitute (or another egg yolk)
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1⁄2 pint raspberries
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- Thaw the puff pastry and roll the sheet out on a lightly floured surface to make it a thinner and get to approximately a 12-by-18 inch rectangle.
- Chill, covered with plastic wrap to let rest.
- With a mixer, blend the cream cheese, egg, Splenda, vanilla extract and lemon rind.
- Make an egg wash by whisking together the remainin egg and water in a small bowl.
- Cut the puff pastry into 3-inch squares (you should have 24 squares).
- Lay a square of pastry on a work surface and paint the edge with egg wash. (I found it easier to just "build" them on the baking pan rather than trying to move them after assembly.).
- In the center of the pastry, place 1 tablespoon of cheese filling and 3 raspberries. Lightly press the berries into the cheese mixture.
- Paint the edge of a second square of pastry with egg wash, place it on top of the filling and carefully press the edges together to seal them well. (I used a pie edge crimping tool or whatever than roll-y thingy is called.).
- Place pockets 1-inch apart on a parchment paper lined sheet pan and keep chilled. Repeat with the remaining pastry.
- When they're all done, brush the top surface with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in a pre heated at 375 degree F oven until golden brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.